Tuesday 21 May 2013

Light Oat Bread


Super Soft Light Oat Bread

















Recipe adapted from All recipes.com. The recipe given was for  making bread with a bread machine.

When I was a little girl I fancied eating bread and jam and carrying them in plastic lunch boxes to school.
Eating bread was considered stylish and plastic lunch boxes were a cool factor then. But my family bought bread only when someone fell sick. I used to long for a day when my mom gives me  bread & jam to school so that my cool factor amidst my peers goes up.
I vividly remember how I compelled my parents and finally packed bread and orange jam to school and eating it so stylishly during the lunch hour.

Buying bread has become a regular at our household in the last five to six years or any other household in India considering the fast-paced life we all have. While my parents still never ever buy bread. I even get ridiculed when they see me feeding bread to my children.  To them bread is still a stick man's food.

Okay!!! I  was super excited when I baked this light oat bread yesterday.  I love focaccia bread and wanted to bake that for a long time. But the process is a little different and I didn't have any fresh herbs to go along with it.  And also as a first timer, I wanted to try something simpler too. I was so happy to see bread baked at home for the first time and had a super soft slice today morning for breakfast with nutella.

Posing Prettily!!!

Light Oat bread

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp margarine ( I used crisco)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 sachet of Rapid rise yeast
  • 1/2  cup of quick cooking oats
Method:
  • Mix yeast in a little bit of warm water
  • Wait for two - three minutes till the yeast completely dissolves
  • Now knead the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oats with water and margarine into a very soft dough.
  • Keep the dough covered and wait for an hour for the yeast to react and rise the dough.
  • Knead the raised dough again and transfer to a loaf pan.
  • Wait for 40 minutes or so for the bread to rise again. This is a very important step. Never skip this. Else you will get bread as hard as a stone.
  • Do not disturb the dough after it has risen. 
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes in 350F till the outside is golden brown and crisp.
  • Cool completely before you slice the bread into pieces
This is how I let the dough  raise in the loaf pan
I am sure you will be as excited as I was when you knead the soft dough, watching the chemistry between the yeast and the dough raising, baking the bread and the aroma wafting in your homes. 
My daughter told me 'Mom, don't buy the store bread henceforth. This is so good.'


Enjoy !!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I found delicious way to consume fresh ground flaxseed,that at it will not loose its nutritional value. Mix it with a bit of cardamom powder and top it on the bread, spread with nuttela. I remembered this when I saw nuttellaalong with bread in the picture

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for stopping by My Magical Kitchen!!!! Appreciate your valuable comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate