Friday 25 October 2013

Bengali Aloo dum

Bengali Aloo Dum

I proudly looked at the aloo dum that I whipped up. Having born in Kolkata, I pondered to myself if I might have some natural Bengali roots. I love everything about Bengal, the people, the food, the language, sweets,  Durga Puja... Well .. who doesn't ? Here comes the Bengali Vegetarian food- the most famous Aloo Dum from my spic and span, well organised My Magical Kitchen.

I know I am bragging. Please bear with me if you are reading this.

I even heard that Bengali vegetarian food is traditionally without onion and garlic.

I made this aloo dum for a dinner that we hosted this week. To prepare this was a breeze because our house help Maria had already boiled the potatoes with skin peeled and kept them ready in the refrigerator.


Ingredients :

Baby potatoes - 1lb
Tomatoes - 4  numbers
Ginger - a little peice
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Dhaniya Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Panch Poron - 1 tsp ( The Bengali masala) for seasoning
Cream - 2 tbsp
Cashew - 5 peices
Oil - to fry and season

Method:
  • Boil the potatoes and take out the skin
  • Fry them deep in oil
  • Keep aside
  • Puree the tomatoes, ginger and cashew till smooth and silky
  • In a pan heat enough oil, crackle the cumin and panch poron 
  • Add the tomato puree and saute till oil separates
  • Add in the chilli and masala powders
  • Add the fried potatoes.
  • Add water if it is too thick.
  • When it boils well, add the cream and switch off.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves.
Goes well with rice and pooris (luchis)
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a bunch for stopping by My Magical Kitchen!!!! Appreciate your valuable comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate