Thursday 13 June 2013

Sambar





I am going to complete 15 years of matrimony this July. That's been a long journey. What's the connection between that and Sambar? You will know how.

Today I made Sambar and vegetable curry for lunch. Suddenly while preparing this dish which I can make even in my dreams, I remembered a cookery show where the Chef was trumpeting proudly about how many times he had made a particular dish and how much of an expert he is at that.

Though modesty would prevent me from calling myself an expert at anything at all, I was intrigued by that chef's comment.
I stepped into the kitchen only after my wedding. And we make Sambar at our house thrice a week on an average.

If I take that calculation into account I have made Sambar more than 2000 times. That's a big number.

So if anyone wants to learn Sambar, don't think twice to learn from me :-)

Measurements are hard to give, I have tried my best because I always eyeball the quantities for the dishes that I prepare. Tuvar dal does not exist in Guatemala. We are still waiting for an Indian to open up a store here. I stock up on tuvar dal during the yearly India trip or we buy it from the USA.
Guatemalan Indians must be the only group of people who go to the US to buy Indian groceries. A visit to the US or India or sometimes even Panama, our bags are sure to be filled up with Indian groceries.

Still it isn't easy as you think. I realized how precious every grain of 'dal' could be only after coming here. There is a lot of hassle sourcing the Tuvar dal. We end up getting caught in customs at Guatemala. The customs guy argues with you that it is a 'seed' and it cannot be allowed in Guatemala. For me anxiety works as always. I show up an anxious face, beg and argue with him, tell him that it is my 'baby's food', tell him that it is the only source of protein since I am a vegetarian. After a lot of talking he lets me away with my precious 'dal'. The airport is so small, now the guy knows me so well, smiles and not a question is asked these days.  Many of my friends  especially the men have had issues sourcing the dal into Guate and to their plight many kgs of dal are chucked into the bin without any pity. Poor men, must learn to show up anxiety.

But for the amount of Sambar we make, the stock does not last long and I end up making Sambar with 'Moong dal' which I get from the Chinese store here or worst case use the Guatemalan 'Lentejas'.



Ingredients:
  • Tuvar Dal - 2 cups
  • Water - 4 cups
  • Tamarind - lemon sized
  • Mustard - 1 tsp
  • Red chilli - 2 nos.
  • Salt to taste
  • Sambar Powder - 1.5 tbsp
  • Oil - 2 tsp
  • Mixed Vegetables - 1 cup ( I have used carrots, beans and Zucchini)
  • Curry leaves and Cilantro to garnish

Method:
  • Pressure cook the dal in 2 cups of water till soft.
  • Boil the vegetables in a cup of water.
  • Soak the tamarind in a cup of warm water and squeeze out the juice. Throw away the pulp.
  • When the vegetables are cooked 3/4th add in the tamarind water.
  • When it comes to a boil, add the dal, salt and the sambar powder
  • If you think that the Sambar is too thick, you may add in a little more water.
  • Stir, bring to a boil and switch off.
  • In a pan heat the oil and throw in the mustard seeds and the red chillies.
  • When it splutters, season the sambar with this mixture.
  • Garnish with cilantro and curry leaves.
Serve Sambar with hot rice, vegetable curry and papad.


Picture Illustrations






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a bunch for stopping by My Magical Kitchen!!!! Appreciate your valuable comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate