Saturday 1 June 2013

Vegetable Samosa

What a gratifying week I have had!

I completed a year working and teaching in an International School. I have had great moments during the term I served there. My English has become a bit 'American' after being with a whole bunch of Americans in the school. I can now easily differentiate how a Spanish guy speaks American English and those words where he would face difficulties on to hide his accent.

I have also felt totally out of place working in a country so far away. Sometimes I was like a zombie - so disconnected with everything around me and just doing my work. However, being the one and only Indian to serve the school in the school's history gave me a kick. I have dozens of pictures with my school kids but considering safety issues I avoided publishing them on social networks and other sites. The kids call me Ms India. It is a bitter-sweet experience when the joyful bundle of kids move on and graduate to another new year in school. They are so adorable that I could eat them all up. I am so happy for them. I even gave out Honors awards to some of them during the annual day award function at school.

Yesterday was end of school and all the teachers went out to San Martin, a famous eatery/bakery in Guatemala for lunch. We had lots of fun - chatting, giggling and clicking pictures all the while. We have another lunch this Monday too.

So here is the recipe for the famous Vegetable Samosa. This was a half a day project for me. Making the samosas and the chutneys to go with them, clicking the pictures and also editing them and finally posting them. I have to give myself a pat for getting them to turn out just perfect. They were nice & crisp on the outside even after hours of making them. I know I have a lot to learn in photography; but, i have tried my best in taking the pictures and editing them too.




Ingredients:
For the crust:
  • All purpose flour /maida - 2 cups
  • Water - as needed
  • Vegetable Shortening or Butter - 3 tbsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
For the filling:
  • Boiled Potatoes - 3-4
  • Amchur Powder - 1 tsp
  • Garam Masala - 1 tsp
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Coriander leaves - a few sprigs
  • Boiled Green Peas - 1 cup
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Method for the filling:
  1. Cube the boiled potatoes into tiny cubes.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds.
  3. Add the potatoes and green peas and all the dry powders.
  4. Garnish with cilantro and keep aside.
This is your filling.

Method for the dough:

Mix all the ingredients given for the dough and roll into a soft tight dough and keep it covered.
  1. Take a small ball of the dough and roll into a thin, small chapathi.
  2. Cut into semicircles.
  3. Make a cone, put a spoon of the filling inside and seal it shut.
  4. Deep fry the prepared samosas in hot oil.
Serve with Imli and Green Chutney.

Picture Illustrations:



Enjoy!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks a bunch for stopping by My Magical Kitchen!!!! Appreciate your valuable comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Translate